skip to main content

Applying for a TEN

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) can be used to authorise relatively small-scale events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people at any one time.

Are you entitled to this?

As long as you are 18 or over, you can be given a maximum of five TENs in any calendar year.

A personal licence holder can be given a maximum of 50 TENs per calendar year.

One venue can have up to 12 TENs per calendar year with up to 499 people attending, but must not exceed 15 days in total.

What you must do

Where the relevant licensable activities include the supply of alcohol, the notice must make it a condition of using the premises for such supplies, that all such supplies are made by or under the authority of the premises user (in other words, the person who applied for the TEN).

You must give a notice in duplicate to the relevant licensing authority together with the fee of £21, at least ten working days before the day the event period begins.

You must also send a copy of the notice to the relevant chief officer of police (again at least 10 working days before the day the event period begins).

For more information please contact the Licensing Department, Durham County Council, Teesdale House, Galgate, Barnard Castle on 01833 690000.